Wednesday, March 18, 2015

High Expectations Gone Wrong by Vanessa Hsiao

A restaurant with perfect service, unique atmosphere, and delicious sounding dishes, what could go wrong? The restaurant was underground and had a funky and bohemian feel to the place. The service from the moment I stepped into the restaurant until I walked out of the restaurant was friendly, enthusiastic, and energetic. The menu was simple but difficult to read by the small bolded font with not much space between each item. The restaurant was expensive but the price range is expected from a nice, semi-formal restaurant.

I ordered the short rib farmhouse cheddar & fontina grilled cheese. I love grilled cheese and short rib and was intrigued by the combination. The plate was plain and was served with cucumbers and coleslaw. The grilled cheese was quite big and overly filled with the short rib. The bread of the first half was nicely grilled. The cheese was perfectly melted in the sandwich and tasted good. However, I did not enjoy the grilled cheese with the short rib. The combination tasted quite weird and felt like I had put two completely different dishes in my mouth at once. It didn’t exactly belong together. The short rib was decent but it tasted more like pulled pork. By the time I reached for the second piece, the bread had become soggy and cold. I disliked the consistency and the combination just did not work for me. I ended up eating the short rib alone, however I could not even eat the second piece because of the bread.

The people I went to Beehive with ordered burgers, salads, and steaks and were very satisfied with it. It might have just been that one dish that did not exactly work and definitely left a negative note for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment