Tuesday, March 17, 2015

What? By: Emily Pisacreta

           I’m going to be completely honest, I watched the entire 80 minutes of A Rite, and I still have no idea what happened. But, if I’m being completely honest, I was okay with that. When the Bill T. Jones/ Arnie Zane Dance Company and SITI Company took the stage at Williams College on March 17th, 2015, I knew I was in for a night of theater that I have never experienced before. The two groups came together to examine the music, dance and consequential riot that ensued after Igor Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring was first performed in Paris in 1913.

Now, I could try to describe the plot to you, but I truly have no idea what the plot was. In simplest terms, the dancers danced to the music originally from Rite of Spring, with added elements of the actors giving monologues as different characters loosely related to Rite of Spring. Ellen Lauren, for example, was an actress from SITI Company, she portrayed a character almost like a professor; donned in a blue polka dot dress, she was there to help us understand the music and the riot. Her monologues, which occurred in between periods of dancing, explained the construction of the music, and the audience reactions in a very high pitched, piercing voice. Meanwhile, Steven Duff Webber wore a suit, and with a powerful presence reminded us of the passage of time. His monologue really got to me, to the point where I was thinking about it two days later, trying to really understand it. He taught us that, if you are moving, and someone is standing still, the two of you will have perceptions of “now” that are slightly different. He did this to put into perspective how this event that happened 100 years ago is still important to us today, as time is not moving in one direction, it is all around us. In these moments, the actors really showed every characteristic of their roles, which is what make their acting so strong and engaging. I was interested in the monologues and the characters presented, although half the time I had no idea what they were even talking about, and what it had to do with the piece I was watching. I just liked listening to the stories, and watching these actors, who were so committed to everything they were doing. I was especially amazed at how into the dancing the actors got. Of course professional dancers did the bulk of the dancing, but the actors were right there with them, moving and sweating profusely. Whether it was dancing or acting, the actors dove into everything they were doing and really did an amazing job portraying their characters.

The set was effortlessly beautiful as well. It was a simple black stage with only white lights to illuminate it. The curtain in the background moved every once in a while to change the mood of the scene. For example, in the last scene, a soldier-like character portrayed by Will Bond ran back and forth behind a curtain that was cut into strips that hung across the upstage area. It made the scene more mysterious and a little bit darker than it already was, if that is possible. It added to the desperation I felt while watching him run back and forth. The only props used in the entire performance were stools that the performers sat on, danced with, and threw around, and a piano that was rolled onto the stage to be played and sat on. The set was simple and, for a piece like this, it needed to be. The dancing and acting on stage was extremely complex and difficult to understand. If there had been a bunch of props or complicated technical elements, we would have been even more confused than we already were. With the simple set, the focus was on the performance and trying to understand the piece.

Finally, the dancing. I absolutely loved the dancing. What I loved about the dancing was that I could tell that all of the dancers on stage were miraculously well trained. They went into splits and did double pirouettes when the choreography called for it, but these dancers knew that that they were not there to show us how amazingly technical they were. The choreography was very primitive, with lots of second positions, flexed feet, jumps and moves that were not supposed to be pretty. So many times dancers get caught in trying to make their work look good, but the dancers in this piece knew that this was not what this piece was about. This piece was about riots and sacrifice and instincts, and nothing about that is pretty. My absolute favorite piece of dance was a sequence of lifts that the company repeated a few times. There were some lifts that involved the whole group, where someone would be dragged across the stage. Others where two people would engage in more traditional girl and guy lifts that you might see in a more traditional dance setting. Each and every lift and move in the sequence was seamless, while still being hard-hitting, primitive and exciting to watch. For me, the dancing was absolutely the highlight of the show. And, again being completely honest, I went home and watched far too many YouTube videos of the Bill T. Jones/ Arine Zane Dance Company’s performances. I would go back and watch A Rite again just to watch the choreography, which was so new and out of the box, that I could watch it a million times and find something new that I loved each time .

This piece. I could never describe it as anything but really, really weird. But sometimes weird, out there, incomprehensible work is the most fun to watch. While I did not come out of the piece with any idea of what the plot was, I came out curious and was still thinking about the piece the next morning. This piece was definitely hard at times when things got really weird and all I could do was try and figure out what the heck they were doing. But overall, I still want to go back and watch it over and over until I can understand every little nuance and every intention behind it. This piece is definitely difficult at some points, so if you looking for a fun, easy night of theater or do not like being confused, this is not the piece for you. But if you are looking for a piece that you will be thinking about for the next six months, and still never totally understand, then A Rite is the piece for you.

                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment