Friday, March 13, 2015

Mr. Bartley’s: A Delicious and Unique Experience By Lilly Harvey


Mr. Bartley’s Hamburger Restaurant in Harvard Square, famous for their delicious gourmet burgers, is a classic American burger joint. Mr. Bartley’s has been open since 1960, when Joe and Joan Barber took over a small convenience store.  They had one goal from the start: to perfect the hamburger.  55 years later, three generations of Bartley’s have been selling the perfect burger to thousands of eager costumers.  On March 12, 2015 I enjoyed my first experience at this quintessential American Diner.

The first thing I noticed when I walked into Mr. Bartley’s was the incredible atmosphere.  The dining room has the same feeling as a dorm room, with wacky posters, bumper stickers and signs covering the walls.  The room was buzzing with the sizzling of the griddle, the hum of conversation, and the sharp ding of the bell as an order was finished.  A friendly host quickly ushered us over to our table, where we sat down and began looking through the menu.  As I looked through the menu, I began laughing, astonished by the creative names.  Instead of simply describing the burgers, each burger was named after a person who is well known in pop culture. There were burgers named after Beyoncé, Barack Obama, Tom Brady, and Kim Kardashian.  The creative names made ordering a more distinctive and fun experience. 

I decided on “The Gronk,” a burger with cheddar cheese, bacon, tomato lettuce and red onions with fries.  While I chose a more traditional burger, there were plenty of burgers on the menu that had a unique spin on them.  There were burgers with eggs, mac and cheese, pineapple, maple syrup and a variety of other wacky ingredients.  I had high expectations for my burger, considering the esteemed reputation of Mr. Bartley’s but after my first bite, it was clear that my burger would be anything but disappointing.  Everything about the burger was delicious and comforting, with the melted cheddar cheese and salty bacon.  The crispy fries and fresh Raspberry Lime Rickey I ordered completed my meal perfectly. 

          Mr. Bartley’s in Harvard Square is a must try, not only because of the delicious food but the unique atmosphere as well.  Everything about this restaurant was an enjoyable experience for me, from the funny posters, friendly wait staff, and delectable comfort food.   If you’re ever in Harvard Square, or even if it is a little bit out of your way I would highly recommend trying a burger at Mr. Bartley’s!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this review in particular. Although I didn't go with you to Mr. Bartley's, I have been there in the past, and this review left me wanting to go again. I specifically like the way you wrote about the entire experience, from the time you sat down until you were eating. Your description of the atmosphere was incredibly compelling, it left me with the impression that I was there, and I could easily picture the details around me. Your description of the burgers also left me hungry, which is a sign of a good restaurant review! This review was well-written and interesting to read. You could have also included how reasonable or unreasonable the prices were, but overall it was very good.

    ReplyDelete