Friday, March 7, 2014

The Spring Quartet at Hopkins Center for the Arts

A Jazz Aficionados Dream 

by Tatianna Suriel

If you’re interested in a nice melody to put you to sleep, Esperanza Spaulding and her quartet is a magnificent place to go. If you’re a jazz enthusiest, you will most definitely like it. Going into the theater expecting an amazing singer, and some great backup musicians to accompany her singing, left me disappointed when finally leaving after two hours.
I was so excited after an hour when she finally spoke and said she would be singing a song, so I waited in desperation as a young child would for a birthday party. At first it was beautiful, but it faded out very quickly as it was very repetitive and not to mention it was not in English, if it was in a real language at all. After previously seeing the ballet, it was quite strange to hear people clapping after every saxophone solo, while the other musicians were still playing.

The beautifully established quartet had what it takes, but it is not for me. The crowd was full of people over 50 who seemed to be enjoying themselves. There were also many people who decided to leave early, my assumption being because they could not handle the two repetitive hours. Those enjoying themselves thought it was so great that they decided to give a standing ovation. I could have held off from that, but I knew being uncouth would not have done anything to help my disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment